How should I take my newborn's temperature?

Dr. Charles I. Schwartz, MD
Pediatrician

Many parents choose the axillary (armpit) as a screening tool to check their baby’s temperature. The most accurate temperature measurement device for infants is the rectal thermometer.

Rectal temperatures are the most accurate and preferred method in newborns. Although the idea may seem uncomfortable to you, it won’t hurt your baby.

Just coat the end of the thermometer with a lubricant (such as water-based K-Y Jelly or petroleum-based Vaseline) and insert about half an inch (follow the instructions for your particular thermometer).

Digital thermometers provide a quick, fairly accurate reading—within a minute you’ll know your baby’s temperature.

If the thermometer reads 100.4°F (38°C) or higher, your newborn has a fever, which may sometimes indicate a serious infection.

Although most newborn fevers are not serious, little ones can get very sick very quickly and should be evaluated as soon as possible—even if it means a trip to the emergency department in the middle of the night!

Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
What is the treatment for hemangiomas in infants?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The usual treatment of hemangiomas in infants is a "tincture of time." The majority will undergo inv...
Should I disinfect my baby’s umbilical stump at every diaper change?
Studies have shown that there is no reason for parents to try to disinfect their infant's umbilical ...
What are the health benefits of kissing my baby?
Subconsciously, when a mom kisses her baby, she's sampling pathogens that are on the baby's face and...