How often should I change my baby's pacifier?

Our studies have shown that within 1 week of use, not only is the surface of the pacifier contaminated with germs (bacteria, yeasts, and molds), but the germs have actually penetrated the material of the pacifier. In addition, the plastic lip-shield is equally contaminated. While it is important to wash the pacifier frequently with an antibacterial soap, our studies have shown that many of the germs are resistant to the soap. Still, the action of cleaning reduces the numbers of germs. For this reason, I recommend daily washing of the pacifier; I also recommend that the pacifier be changed weekly.  Dr. G.

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Baby's Physical Health

Baby's Physical Health

Regular well checks with your pediatrician help to ensure that your baby is developing properly. Pediatricians screen for metabolic and blood problems, developmental skills, hearing and oral health. Physical activity is important ...

to infants' normal maturation process, and playing with your baby encourages healthy social and physical development.