How often should I bring my baby to the doctor for a checkup?

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that checkups occur on a fairly regular schedule. After the first visit within 3-5 days, the infant should also be seen again in the first month of life. After that, the child should be seen at 2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 24, 30 and 36 months. Healthy children should then be seen yearly throughout childhood and adolescence.
The American Association of Pediatrics offers guidelines for age-appropriate care for children and adolescents through its “Bright Futures” educational initiative. The first year is a busy time, with seven recommended assessments: at birth, one week, and one, two, four, six and nine months. Checkups are recommended every three months from 12 to 18 months; every 6 months from 2 to 3; and annually starting at 3.
Your doctor will suggest a schedule for your newborn's well-baby checkups, beginning in the first or second week and again at one, two and four months. After these baby checkups, routine exams should occur quarterly from 6 through 18 months. At two years, your child should begin receiving annual checkups.

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
How can I help my baby if they have nasal congestion?
Charles I. Schwartz, MDCharles I. Schwartz, MD
Most parents are sent home with a bulb syringe from the hospital. Parents should purchase nasal sali...
What are signs that a newborn needs immediate medical attention?
Major signs that a newborn needs immediate medical attention include the following: Fevers greater t...
What should I do if I notice a gooey lump on my newborn's belly button?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
You may notice a small, gooey lump (umbilical granuloma) at the base of the belly button. If this ...