What do I do if my baby's skin or eyes are yellow-ish?

Call your pediatrician so they can check your baby. Some yellow color can be normal, while others can indicate a more serious problem that may need treatment. That means he's not clearing a substance called bile (produced in the liver) from his system correctly, which is a sign of jaundice. Depending on the severity, he may be prescribed to sit under UV light. Because jaundice is so common, there's probably a good biological reason for it to happen. It turns out that bilirubin, which causes the yellow color, is a powerful antioxidant that helps the baby cope with the three times higher oxygen content in the transition from womb to breathing after birth. But don't avoid treatment if the level is very high, as sky high levels of bilirubin can damage brain cells.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time, are trying to start your family, or already have enough children to start your own basketball team, you're bound to have questions about what it means to be pregnant -- and how you can increase your odds of having a healthy and happy pregnancy. But no matter how much you've read, watched, studied, or talked about this amazing biological journey, you have never read anything like this. In this groundbreaking book, Dr. Michael Roizen and Dr. Mehmet Oz act as mythbusters for the hundreds of questions surrounding pregnancy in the same scientific, informative, and entertaining ways that have made them America's Doctors. In these pages, you'll learn everything you need to know about the miracles of fetal development, your health throughout the pregnancy, and providing the best possible environment for your growing child. Pregnancy is a complicated balancing act, but it doesn't have to be frightening. The doctors will help you de-stress as they describe accurately and rationally what happens during a thrilling nine months of life. While every pregnant body is different, odds are you'll experience some of the cravings, crying, and discomfort that almost all women go through. Your best tactic? Learn why these things are happening -- and what you should do about them. YOU: Having a Baby will teach you everything you need to know about what to eat (should I be eating for two?), how much to exercise, and what guilty pleasures will actually make pregnancy easier on you (and the loved ones who get to be around you for the whole thing). Each phase of pregnancy has different challenges, but the right information will prepare you for what's ahead. The interactive week-by-week calendar inside provides an even more detailed guideline for how and what you should feel through every step of the process. Exciting, cutting-edge scientific research in the fi eld of epigenetics has changed the way the medical profession looks at pregnancy, and now it can change your perspective, too. Epigenetics explores what makes us develop in certain ways -- why some people thrive at math while others are prone to chronic diseases. It turns out that there are easy things you can do that will not just help your baby's development in utero but will actually improve his or her chances of living a healthy, fulfi lling adult life. Filled with recipes for nutritious, satisfying snacks and meals even Pop can cook (yes, he can!), safe exercises for staying fit, and tons of YOU tips that will help you stay comfortable, YOU: Having a Baby is the ultimate guidebook for what to do from the moment of conception to the weeks after your child has arrived home. From morning sickness and food cravings to choosing a doctor and changing a diaper, YOU: Having a Baby will give you the real scoop about what's in store for you during this amazing time in your life.

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
How do I take my baby’s temperature?
Julie A. Gustin, MDJulie A. Gustin, MD
If you're concerned about a fever in your baby, how you take their temperature is somewhat depen...
What are some hygiene tips to help protect my baby from infections?
Good hand washing is the key. However bacteria is prevalent in the community and some exposure will ...
What should I do if I notice a gooey lump on my newborn's belly button?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
You may notice a small, gooey lump (umbilical granuloma) at the base of the belly button. If this ...