Should I worry if my baby spits up a lot?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Some babies who spit up a lot are simply what we call "happy spitters". If your baby does not seem to be in pain and is gaining good weight, do not worry and just buy extra laundry detergent. If your baby is arching their back during feeds, seems to be in pain when they eat or burp or is taking smaller and smaller feeds, talk to your pediatrician about reflux. However, spitting up without other distressing symptoms is usually not a problem.

In babies, there's no cause for concern or treatment unless she is in distress or not gaining weight. A lot of times, a baby's spit-up may look like the whole meal of milk he just ate, but it's really only a fraction.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Baby Feeding & Nutrition

Please Do NOT Make Your Own Baby Formula
You may have seen recipes circulating online for homemade baby formula. Don't try them. Making your own baby formula simply isn't safe. I say this out...
How often should I burp a feeding baby?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Because they may swallow air during feedings, babies who are bottle-fed need to be burped often,...
What is the proper way to bottle-feed?
Sarine SalamaSarine Salama
Prop the baby in a semi upright position, cradled in your arms. Hold the bottle at a slight angle an...
Why is it important that my baby gets enough calories?
There are many reasons why you need to make sure your baby is getting enough calories. Among other t...