When can a newborn drink water?

Newborns do not need extra water when they are drinking milk as their primary nutritional source that is usually for the first 12-18 months. If it is extremely hot and adults feel the need for extra liquid, small amounts of water may be ok for the 12-month and older infant but care must be taken not to replace milk with water (or other juices).

Continue Learning about Baby Feeding & Nutrition

Please Do NOT Make Your Own Baby Formula
You may have seen recipes circulating online for homemade baby formula. Don't try them. Making your own baby formula simply isn't safe. I say this out...
What should I do if I think my baby is intolerant to cows' milk?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
It depends on the age of your baby.   If your baby is under age 1, don’t give him cow’s milk at al...
Can I ever bottle feed once I choose to nurse?
You can absolutely combine breastfeeding with bottle feeding. If you choose or need to use expressed...
When can I start to spoon-feed my baby?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
When your baby is four to six months old, you can start feeding her with a spoon. Your baby will...