What should I do if I think my baby is intolerant to cows' milk?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
It depends on the age of your baby.

If your baby is under age 1, don’t give him cow’s milk at all! The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends waiting until your child is 1 year old before introducing cow’s milk. Little infants cannot digest cow’s milk easily, and it lacks the proper mix of nutrients that they need. In addition, it can irritate the lining of baby’s intestines, leading to bleeding and anemia if baby is allergic.

Once a child is over 1, he can drink whole cow’s milk, as long as it’s alongside his regular balanced diet (including a variety of solid foods). If your child is over 1 and seems not to tolerate cow's milk well, have a conversation with your pediatrician about his symptoms. The good news is that you have other options. The main benefits of cow’s milk are the calcium and fat, which you can get from yogurt, cheese and other calcium-rich foods.

Continue Learning about Baby Feeding & Nutrition

Please Do NOT Make Your Own Baby Formula
You may have seen recipes circulating online for homemade baby formula. Don't try them. Making your own baby formula simply isn't safe. I say this out...
When can a newborn drink water?
Ian Holzman, MDIan Holzman, MD
Newborns do not need extra water when they are drinking milk as their primary nutritional source tha...
How should my child transition from drinking from a bottle to a cup?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Introduce the sippy or straw cup around 6 to 9 months of age. Your infant may not take to it immedia...
What is the proper way to bottle-feed?
Sarine SalamaSarine Salama
Prop the baby in a semi upright position, cradled in your arms. Hold the bottle at a slight angle an...