What sights, sounds, and tastes do babies prefer?

Even though they can't express their opinions right from the start, babies have already formed quite a few likes and dislikes -- especially when it comes to having their senses stimulated. Here's what babies tend to prefer:

• VISUAL: Infants will fixate on a face soon after birth. They like faces as well as toys with high-contrast patterns.
  • HEARING: Infants immediately recognize their mother's voice and tend to be sensitive to very high and very low frequencies.
  • TOUCH: Skin-to-skin contact stimulates the release of oxytocin, a hormone that facilitates bonding. So even if you're not breast feeding, it's a good idea to hold your child to your chest while you're bottle feeding.
  • SMELL AND TASTE: Infants prefer sweet tastes, but they can distinguish among sweet, bitter, and sour. (Fun fact: Two-day-old babies who breast-feed can distinguish their mother's milk from others based on smell alone.)
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Baby Feeding & Nutrition

Please Do NOT Make Your Own Baby Formula
You may have seen recipes circulating online for homemade baby formula. Don't try them. Making your own baby formula simply isn't safe. I say this out...
Is it ok to feed cereal and fruit to an infant (14 wks)?
Kate MyersonKate Myerson
The reason we do not recommend feeding infants solid foods like cereal or fruit before 4 or 6 months...
Is anything wrong if my infant vomits frequently after feeding?
Sam Pejham, MDSam Pejham, MD
Infants spit up after feeding since the muscles that are suppose to keep the food from coming back u...
What foods should I avoid giving my baby?
Alan Greene, MDAlan Greene, MD
Here are four types of food you should avoid feeding your child: Foods That Your Baby May Be All...