Is there anything wrong with giving my toddler a sippy cup?

I constantly see parents handing their children plastic sippy cups of juice to carry around all day. Parents use them as a substitute pacifier. This makes me crazy. Toddlers don’t need to sip juice from a cup for five hours while they play, walk, pet the dog, watch TV, and read a book. They don’t need the extra calories, the extra tooth decay, or the extra exposure to plastic. You can find sippy cups that are BPA-free, but that’s no excuse to keep one attached to your toddler like an appendage. If you choose to give your child a sippy cup to carry around, I suggest filling it with the best sugar-free beverage on earth—water.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Baby Feeding & Nutrition

Please Do NOT Make Your Own Baby Formula
You may have seen recipes circulating online for homemade baby formula. Don't try them. Making your own baby formula simply isn't safe. I say this out...
How can I make sure that my baby gets enough vitamin D?
Vitamin D3 protects against infections, and it seems to be one of the nutrients lacking in breast mi...
Should I feed my baby every time she cries?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
You do not need to feed your baby every time she cries. If your baby is recently fed, check her pamp...
How much money can I save by making my own baby food?
Cheryl TallmanCheryl Tallman
Processed baby foods are expensive. The average baby in the United States will consume 600 jars ...