Is pasteurized human milk safe for babies?

Although it's possible that donated human milk could transmit a harmful substance, there has never been a known case of infection caused by milk from a certified human milk bank. Banks safeguard the milk's safety through the measures described below.
  • Donors are carefully screened. Screening ensures that a woman who donates her milk to the milk bank is healthy, takes no regular medications, and has more than enough milk to meet her own baby's needs. She must be a nonsmoker with no history of drug abuse, alcohol abuse, or other risky behavior. Her blood must test negative for certain infectious diseases. Once a woman is accepted as a donor, she must follow detailed instructions for safe handling of the milk she collects.
As you can see, it takes a strong commitment to be a human milk donor. Donors aren't paid and are motivated only by a desire to help babies like yours.
  • Donated milk is pasteurized and tested. Pasteurizing is a heating process that kills any harmful bacteria or viruses that may be in the milk. This process preserves most of the milk's nutrients, immune properties, and other healthy components. After pasteurization, the milk bank also tests the donated milk to further ensure that it's safe to feed a baby.

Continue Learning about Baby Feeding & Nutrition

Please Do NOT Make Your Own Baby Formula
You may have seen recipes circulating online for homemade baby formula. Don't try them. Making your own baby formula simply isn't safe. I say this out...
What are the three basic kinds of baby formula?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
There are three types of formulas for babies: Powdered formula has instructions for how much water...
What are the main types of infant formula?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
The main types of regular infant formula are cow's milk based and soy milk based. Try using the cow'...
How should I feed my 1-year-old?
Your child should be weaned off of pureed food at around 1 year; she can eat everything you eat if i...