How often should I burp a feeding baby?

Because they may swallow air during feedings, babies who are bottle-fed need to be burped often, about every one-half to three-quarters of an ounce of formula in the first few days of life. If you are breastfeeding, burp your baby before you switch to the second breast and also when your baby is done feeding. If your baby does not burp after a few minutes, resume nursing. The best burping positions include:
  • Draping the baby over your shoulder and gently patting or rubbing the
           baby’s back;
  • Sitting the baby upright and patting the back while leaning his or her
           weight forward against the heel of your hand;
  • Placing the baby stomach-down across your lap and rubbing or patting
           his or her back.

Continue Learning about Baby Feeding & Nutrition

Please Do NOT Make Your Own Baby Formula
You may have seen recipes circulating online for homemade baby formula. Don't try them. Making your own baby formula simply isn't safe. I say this out...
Should I feed my baby every time she cries?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
You do not need to feed your baby every time she cries. If your baby is recently fed, check her pamp...
Why is it important that my baby gets enough calories?
There are many reasons why you need to make sure your baby is getting enough calories. Among other t...
How can I make sure that my baby gets enough vitamin D?
Vitamin D3 protects against infections, and it seems to be one of the nutrients lacking in breast mi...