How can I help my baby avoid weight problems later in life?

Here are four ways to improve your baby's odds of not having weight problems. They begin with a healthy pregnancy, of course. Some of this new research may surprise you, and scientists don't totally understand all of it yet, but not doing these is strongly associated with childhood obesity by age 7.
  1. If you smoke, stop today. It's important for weight problems as well as for many other medical reasons. Don't go near anyone who smokes either. Secondhand smoke is just as bad.
  2. Limit how much "baby weight" you gain. The healthier your weight during pregnancy, the better for both of you. Extra fat cells in your body teach the fetus that extra fat cells are essential for survival. Also, the more you weigh now, the less you should gain during pregnancy. If you're overweight, gain 15 to 25 pounds tops; if you're obese, 11 to 20 pounds. During the first trimester, a typical mom-to-be needs only 100 extra calories a day (a glass of skim milk); during the second trimester, 250 calories (10 walnut halves and an apple); during the third, 300 calories (three pieces of fruit).
  3. Breastfeed for 12 months. It's what the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends for multiple health reasons. Not only will it help your baby avoid obesity later, it will also help you lose weight after pregnancy.
  4. After your baby is born, be sure she sleeps at least 12 hours a day. Not getting this much sleep early in life is strongly associated with childhood obesity later.

Continue Learning about Baby Feeding & Nutrition

Please Do NOT Make Your Own Baby Formula
You may have seen recipes circulating online for homemade baby formula. Don't try them. Making your own baby formula simply isn't safe. I say this out...
Should I give my child fruit juice?
Melissa Joy DobbinsMelissa Joy Dobbins
The American Academy of Pediatrics has the following recommendations for juice intake: no more t...
How often should I burp a feeding baby?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Because they may swallow air during feedings, babies who are bottle-fed need to be burped often,...
Should I be concerned if my infant eats, spits up, and wants to eat again?
If your infant sometimes has mild episodes of spitting up or vomiting, there is probably no need for...