Why is DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) important in early brain development?

Because myelin is made up of 80 percent fat and 20 percent protein, healthy fats are important for growing and maintaining a healthy brain. That's why we recommend that moms-to-be take a DHA supplement during pregnancy. DHA, or docosahexaenoic acid, comprises over 97 percent of the omega-3 healthy fats in brains. It's also why we recommend breast milk (or infant formula fortified with DHA) until twelve months, followed by whole milk (some brands are fortified with DHA) until at least age two. You should also try to incorporate healthy fats such as avocadoes, olive oil, and DHA-fortified milk into your child's diet from an early age.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Baby Feeding & Nutrition

Please Do NOT Make Your Own Baby Formula
You may have seen recipes circulating online for homemade baby formula. Don't try them. Making your own baby formula simply isn't safe. I say this out...
Why do I need to feed my baby frequently?
The stomach serves as the first major storage facility of food (or breast milk or formula, in th...
How can I safely prepare and handle powdered infant formula?
Powdered formula is not sterile, and it can become contaminated after it is opened. If your baby get...
Which formula should I feed my baby?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
In most important ways, all formulas are the same. The Food and Drug Administration requires all...