What are soft spots (fontanelles)?

An infant's skull is made up of six separate bones that grow together as the baby grows. From birth until about 12 to 18 months of age, there are spaces between these bones, called fonatanelles or soft spots. Soft spots in infants are normal. They make the head more flexible, so it can fit through the birth canal during delivery, and to allow for fast brain growth in the first few months of the baby's life. Most babies have two main soft spots -- one on the top of their head, and one in the back of their head. Bulging fontanelles can be a sign of pressure on the brain, and need emergency medical attention. Sunken fontanelles can be a sign of dehydration, and should also be checked by a doctor as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Baby Development

Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
A bit of baby talk and mimicking a child’s sounds during the earliest months of life makes an infant feel connected and understood and stimulates an i...
How do I teach my infant about sex?
Good In BedGood In Bed
You may be wondering how you're supposed to teach your infant about sexuality when she can only coo....
What causes orthopedic problems in babies?
Many orthopedic problems occur because of how the baby is formed in utero in the third trimester...
Can Physical Activity Improve a Child's Mental Development?