How do I teach my infant about sex?

You may be wondering how you're supposed to teach your infant about sexuality when she can only coo. Whether you realize it or not, however, you're providing verbal and nonverbal messages about sexuality as you interact with your child: For example, holding your child in a nurturing way demonstrates love, letting her explore if she touches herself during a diaper change teaches her that it is okay to touch her body, and using proper terms for her genitals sets the foundation for her to be knowledgeable about her anatomy. These scenarios, known as “teachable moments,” are daily opportunities to set a sex-positive tone.

Continue Learning about Baby Development

Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
A bit of baby talk and mimicking a child’s sounds during the earliest months of life makes an infant feel connected and understood and stimulates an i...
Why is it important to understand how my baby communicates?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
When a baby is securely attached he is confident that his needs will be met. He knows he will be...
Why don't my baby's eyes move together?
For the first few weeks of life, often the eyes do not move together. Sometimes one or both eyes wil...
Can Physical Activity Improve a Child's Mental Development?