How can I use my voice to get my baby's attention?

To use your voice to get your baby's attention, try speaking to the baby in a high-pitched baby voice. This is more likely to get his attention than if you use your normal adult voice, according to Canadian researchers. Babies, it seems, are more interested in hearing from other babies (or adults who imitate them) than from adults.

In a series of experiments, babies listened to a repeating vowel sound that mimicked those made by an adult woman or by another baby, while their attention spans were measured. Babies paid attention to the baby vowels almost 40% longer than the adult ones and showed their preference by smiling or moving their mouths as they listened. Researchers said that babies appreciate other baby sounds as a way to become aware of their own voices.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Baby Development

Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
A bit of baby talk and mimicking a child’s sounds during the earliest months of life makes an infant feel connected and understood and stimulates an i...
How do babies develop their sense of touch?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Neurologically, among the earliest nerve tracts to develop in the human embryo is the spinothala...
What can I do to help my infant's cognitive development?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
Carefully watch your baby’s sleep/wake/activity schedule for clues as to when he is most likely ...
Can Physical Activity Improve a Child's Mental Development?