How can I help my newborn grow?

Here are ways to make sure a newborn grows normally:

• Give breastfeeding a try, and stick with it, even if it's tough early on. It's the best nutritional nectar for a baby. Though we realize there are some circumstances that make it hard to breastfeed, we encourage you to do it if at all possible.
  • Make sure to get your own nutrients, including DHA, and omega-3 fatty acid, which not only is crucial for baby's brain development but also can keep your gray matter firing and stabilize your mood. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends one or two servings of low-mercury fish per week to keep DHA levels adequate.
  • Keep taking your prenatal vitamins for as long as you breastfeed.

Continue Learning about Baby Development

Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
A bit of baby talk and mimicking a child’s sounds during the earliest months of life makes an infant feel connected and understood and stimulates an i...
How can I tell if my baby can distinguish sounds?
Put a finger in your baby's mouth and let her suck on it while you make eye contact and say "bab...
What is healthy attachment in children?
One of the ways we judge emotional strength is through a concept called "attachment." This emoti...
Can Physical Activity Improve a Child's Mental Development?