How can I tell if my child can recognize shapes?

Get some objects that are unfamiliar to your child. Two of them should be the same shape but different colors or textures. The others should be the same color or texture but not the same shape. Show the child the first object and say, "See this? This is a screwdriver." Then show the other two objects and ask, "Which one of these is also a screwdriver?" When the child reaches the point where she is learning words quickly, she should point to the object that has the same shape as the first object.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Baby Development

Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
A bit of baby talk and mimicking a child’s sounds during the earliest months of life makes an infant feel connected and understood and stimulates an i...
What can I do to help my infant's cognitive development?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
Carefully watch your baby’s sleep/wake/activity schedule for clues as to when he is most likely ...
Why is it important to expose your baby to different kinds of stimuli?
It's important to expose your baby to many different stimuli (music, language, pictures) early on, w...
Can Physical Activity Improve a Child's Mental Development?