When will my infant begin to walk?

Although there is no specific age when your infant will begin to walk most babies start walking around 1 year of age. However, it can be as early as 9 months or as late as 15 months or older. Make sure you are giving your infant the opportunity to walk. Allow for plenty of free play time down on the ground. Put toys slightly out of reach to encourage movement. As always, contact your pediatrician if you have any concerns.

Reshma Shah, MD
Pediatrics

The average age that babies start to walk is around 12 months. Some babies may start to take their first steps as early as 9-10 months of age and others will not walk until closer to 15 months of age.

Many factors, such a prematurity, can influence when a baby begins to walk. The key thing to consider is whether or not your baby is making appropriate developmental progress. Babies begin to develop their motor strength by gaining head control, rolling, learning to sit, then crawl, and eventually holding on to furniture or a parent's hands to walk. Ultimately they can stand briefly and before you know it they are taking independent steps!

Even though it may be difficult, try not to compare to other babies, especially if your baby is making appropriate developmental progress. If you feel your baby is not meeting the milestones that she should be, talk to your pediatrician so that she may do a full developmental assessment.

Continue Learning about Baby Development

Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
Talk to Your Child Like an Adult
A bit of baby talk and mimicking a child’s sounds during the earliest months of life makes an infant feel connected and understood and stimulates an i...
How do I teach my infant about sex?
Good In BedGood In Bed
You may be wondering how you're supposed to teach your infant about sexuality when she can only coo....
What are signs of developmental delay in babies?
In the first few months of life, signs of developmental delay include a lack of visual or audito...
Can Physical Activity Improve a Child's Mental Development?