What are the things to be put in my baby's layette?

Deborah Mulligan
Deborah Mulligan on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics
Walk into any baby store and you probably will be overwhelmed by the selection of equipment available.  What does a baby really need in the first weeks at home? The answer is not much beyond plenty of cuddling, feeding, and sleeping.  A few items are essential, but most things, while enticing, are not necessary. In fact, some are not even useful. The truth is that a ‘baby layette’ consists of as many or as few items as the parents wish. The basics usually include onesies, sleepers, socks, hats, blankets, and bedding, diapers and toiletries. The other items you put in a baby's layette are a matter of personal choice.

Many parents-to-be enjoy putting together their baby's layette. This is the clothing and supplies your baby will need in the months ahead. There are countless baby items, and every gadget comes in different shapes, sizes, and brands. So, it can be hard to know what items you will really need or use.

The list that follows will give you some ideas about what you might need and want. Ask mothers you know about what items they could not live without and brands they liked. Also, keep in mind that the cost of brand-new baby gear can add up. Many new parents keep costs down by borrowing clothes and gear or shopping at consignment stores.

Safety is also an important factor when shopping for supplies. Some products may pose a risk to your baby if safety guidelines are not followed. And used products are more likely than new items to be dangerous. The web sites listed in the resources section can help you to choose a safe car seat, crib, clothing, stroller, and other items.

If you are overwhelmed by the numbers of baby products out there, just remember this: Your baby really only needs food, shelter, and you.

What Your Baby Will Need at the Hospital

Undershirt An outfit such as a stretch suit, nightgown, or sweater set A pair of socks or booties Receiving blanket, cap and heavier blanket or bunting, if the weather is cold Diapers and wipes (some hospitals provide an initial supply of these) Infant car seat – Most hospitals will not discharge the baby unless the car seat is checked for safety and correct installation.

This answer is based on source information from National Women'th Information Center.

Continue Learning about Baby Care Essentials

when should i call the doctor to see my newborn ?
Dianne ParkerDianne Parker
The doctor should be contacted for a newborn if a fever develops greater than 100.4 or if other symp...
how can the self-soothing method help my baby fall asleep ?
Richard Ferber is a pediatrician who founded -- and was former director of -- the Center for Pediatr...
what are the dos and do nots of umbilical cord care ?
When caring for an infant’s umbilical cord:Do wash your hands before touching the area. Do ...
what are the items i need to care for my infant ?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Following are some of the items that you need to care for your infant:Diapers or cloth diapers – you...