Will I need a C-section if I have a prolapsed umbilical cord during labor?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Yes. A prolapsed cord is considered an obstetrical emergency, and unless the prolapsed cord is found while crowning, you will need a C-section to ensure baby's health.

Prof. Kathy Snider
Neonatal Nursing Specialist
Although there are few real emergencies in the labor and delivery setting, a prolapsed cord is considered to be one. When the umbilical cord, which is the baby's "lifeline", comes out through the vaginal opening before the baby, it can pinch off the blood and oxygen supply to the baby. In the rare circumstance when this occurs, the care provider quickly recognizes that the prolapsed cord requires an emergent delivery, which is always a cesarean birth.

Continue Learning about Baby Care Essentials

How Often Should I Bathe a Baby?
How Often Should I Bathe a Baby?
How Do I Get a Newborn Baby to Sleep?
How Do I Get a Newborn Baby to Sleep?
What's the Best Way to Prevent Having a Picky Eating Toddler?
3 Ways to Prevent & Treat Diaper Rash
3 Ways to Prevent & Treat Diaper Rash