How can the parent-soothing method help my baby fall asleep?

The parent-soothing method can help you get your child comfortable with sleeping, and many parents like it because it allows them and their babies to develop a routine that works for them. The transition to sleep is often easier, and the method is more nurturing and gradual than, for instance, the self-soothing method, and may help build trust.

Basically, with parent-soothing methods a parent will rock, nurse, hold or sing to the baby until he or she falls asleep after going through a bedtime routine. Some parents also choose to co-sleep with their child. This builds a relationship of trust and gives the baby positive memories associated with sleep, which may be beneficial as he or she grows older.

However, some babies may come to rely on a parent to put them to sleep, which could be problematic if they wake up during the night, because the parent will have to go in and repeat the process. If this happens, experts recommend responding to the child immediately to soothe or pick him or her up, regardless of how many times this occurs in the course of a night.

What's important is to find a method that works for you and your child and enables a healthy night's sleep for both of you.

Continue Learning about Baby Care Essentials

Is there a fabric softener that's safe for baby clothes?
Seventh Generation and Ecover also make safe fabric softeners/static cling removers based on vegetab...
How long should I wait before taking my newborn baby out in public?
Woodrow C. Marriott, MDWoodrow C. Marriott, MD
How long you should avoid public places with your newborn is a personal decision, but there is s...
How Do I Get a Newborn Baby to Sleep?
How Do I Get a Newborn Baby to Sleep?
When Can I Start Giving My Baby Water?
When Can I Start Giving My Baby Water?