How do I get a newborn baby to sleep?

Newborn babies don't sleep like adults, and that can make many new parents crazy. Get some great tips from Drs. Oz and Jennifer Trachtenberg in this video about getting a baby to sleep.

Sleep is a common topic of conversation in my office. Who wouldn't love a few more z's every night? The reality is that the first few weeks at home with your newborn you probably won't get much. In addition to needing to feed every few hours, babies don’t know the difference between day and night. So no matter what time he rests, you need to take advantage and nap too.
Initially your baby will need to feed every 2 to 3 hours day and night. You can try to help him get on track by keeping nighttime feeds and changing as calm as possible. Wake him after 4 hours of daytime sleep to feed, but as soon as your doctor says he’s gaining weight appropriately, it’s ok to let him sleep at night. Check with your doctor, but once a baby is gaining weight properly, don’t wake him up at night to feed and enjoy the extra sleep yourself.

Continue Learning about Baby Care Essentials

What is a prolapsed umbilical cord?
An umbilical cord prolapse occurs when the umbilical cord drops or prolapses through the cervix and ...
Will I need a C-section if I have a prolapsed umbilical cord during labor?
Yes. A prolapsed cord is considered an obstetrical emergency, and unless the prolapsed cord is found...
What's the Best Way to Prevent Having a Picky Eating Toddler?
What Foods Should I First Feed My Baby?
What Foods Should I First Feed My Baby?