How should I choose a training cup for my child?

There are many kinds of training cups. Unfortunately, many of these cups are "no spill" cups. These cups are nothing more than baby bottles in disguise. "No spill" cups have a valve beneath the spout to stop spills. However, cups with valves work the same way as a baby bottle -- the child gets a drink by sucking on the valve. This does not teach your child to sip and drink from the cup. So when shopping for a training cup, avoid those that have "no spill" valves.

A useful training cup will have a snap-on or screw-on lid with a spout. With very young children, cups with two handles may be best. These kinds of cups may have a round, weighted base that pulls the cup upright when it tips. This helps to prevent spills. You can also choose to use a small plastic cup that a child can hold easily. To keep spills small, put only a small amount of liquid in the cup as your baby learns to use it.

Whether you choose a training cup or a small plastic cup, be patient as your baby tries holding it different ways, or even throws it. Do not be surprised if your baby first treats the training cup as a toy.

Continue Learning about Baby Care Essentials

When should I call the doctor about my baby's poop?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Although variation in stool color is normal, some colors do warrant further investigation. If your c...
What is the treatment for a yeast rash in babies?
Getting rid of a yeast infection requires a special cream to clear it up. I find that using a pres...
How Often Should I Bathe a Baby?
How Often Should I Bathe a Baby?
Are There Any Foods That Parents Should Not Feed to Their Babies?