Are pacifiers harmful?

There is no need to worry about the use of pacifiers. Contrary to popular belief, pacifiers will not:
  • Cause ear infections. The risk of ear infections is very low during the first year. You can help by cleaning and replacing damaged pacifiers often.
  • Cause problems with breastfeeding. Studies show that offering a pacifier after one month, when your baby is nursing well, will not cause problems with breastfeeding.
  • Cause problems with your baby’s teeth. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry says that pacifiers will not cause long-term problems for your baby’s teeth if stopped by age three. Babies who do not use pacifiers are more likely to suck their fingers and thumbs -- a problem that is harder to break and more likely to cause long-term problems for your baby’s teeth.

Continue Learning about Baby Care Essentials

What is a temperature probe?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
A temperature probe is a sensor placed on the skin to measure body temperature. The reading of the s...
What does it mean if my baby has white spots on his tongue?
If you're breastfeeding you'll want to be on the lookout for white spots that may develop on you...
Are There Any Foods That Parents Should Not Feed to Their Babies?
When Can I Start Giving My Baby Water?
When Can I Start Giving My Baby Water?