Why should I stretch both sides of my body if I only have pain on one side?

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
If you only stretch the right side of your body because that's the side that is painful, your left side will become tighter. This asymmetry will create tension on your spine, muscles, and other joints, ultimately leading to worsening biomechanics, chronic stress, and pain. Therefore, it is important to stretch and strengthen both sides of your body as evenly and symmetrically as possible.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Much of the time when you have pain in one area the pain is caused by an area above or below, to your left or to your right.  For example, if you feel pain in your knee, the pain might be coming from your ankle or your hip.  If you feel pain in the outer part of your knee, the pain might be caused by something on the inner part of your knee.

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Preventing Injuries in Your Spring Training
In 2014, Major League Baseball revised its rules to prevent bone-jarring collisions at home plate between a base runner and the catcher. That should m...
How can I prevent injury with warm-ups?
Fred C. Redfern, MDFred C. Redfern, MD
Warming up muscles can prevent injury, says Fred Redfern, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at Sunrise Hospi...
Under what circumstances should I call my doctor while exercising?
If you notice any of the following symptoms stop exercising and rest. If these symptoms persist, cal...
What Are the Most Common Mistakes People Make When They Work Out?