Why do back bends hurt?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
The goal with back bends is to balance the bend throughout the spine in a nice fluid curve. Most of us have what I call “sticky” areas of our spine that don’t want to bend. Those rigid areas that don’t want to bend could be only a few vertebrae, or a long section of the spine. Everyone is different. When trying to bend the spine, the most flexible areas bend first, and sometimes too much. Like a credit card bent back and forth, wear and tear can develop at that area of the spine, and it can hurt. Lying over a support (fit ball, yoga bolsters, and rolled blankets or towels all work), in a restorative back bend, at the most rigid area of your back, can help it to open up. Standing back bends are much more difficult, as they require muscular strength and an open, flexible spine. I teach back bends slowly and focus on alignment and muscle action, rather than going for a deep bend in the back for stiffer spines.
Pain in the spine can be caused by a variety of different causes. Most likely the pain is caused by lack of range of motion in that part of the spine. By increasing core strength and improving range of motion in that area of the back the pain should go away.

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Stay Safe When Exercising With Diabetes
Stay Safe When Exercising With Diabetes
If you live with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, exercise is one of the best things you can do to offset diabetic damage to your heart and circulatory syst...
How can I prevent injury with warm-ups?
Fred C. Redfern, MDFred C. Redfern, MD
Warming up muscles can prevent injury, says Fred Redfern, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at Sunrise Hospi...
When should I stop exercising?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
If you develop chest pain, headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, or have prolonged difficulty catch...
To Prevent Running Injuries, Start With Your Big Toe