What can I do if my low back hurts when I exercise my core?

David Buer
Fitness
Your lower back should not experience any pain or discomfort while exercising your core. In this video, I will explain why it's important to have the proper form when exercising, and what to do if you experience pain.

Your low back should not hurt when performing core exercises. If you repeatedly have pain while performing core exercises, cease the activity and seek physician consultation. While performing core exercise be sure that you are fully engaging the core muscles. Before beginning any exercise, perform the drawing in maneuver to activate the core musculature. Keep the drawing in position throughout the duration of the exercise.

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
You are not alone. This is a common question. Often limiting your range of motion or focusing on isometric exercises, such as plank with a long spine, will help decrease any discomfort in your lower back. If that doesn't relieve your back, we recommend using a small towel, or a fit ball like we use at barre3, to help support and stabilize your back without losing any connection to your core.

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Whether you are involved in aerobics, jogging, cycling or team sports, there are many things you can do to prevent injuries during exercise. Avoid sore arms, leg cramps, muscle spasms and pains by performing warm up exercises. Thi...

s is a must so you don’t have tight stiff muscles, increasing your chance of muscle injury. Avoid overexertion; exercise at a pace that is comfortable for you. Learning correct posture and form can also prevent your muscles being used in an awkward way.