How I can reduce the risk of injuries on an exercise program?

Whether you’re an amateur athlete, highly competitive or you’re considering starting a fitness routine for the first time, you can benefit from following some simple training tips to reduce your risk for injury.
  • Prevent heat-related illnesses. If you plan to train outdoors, schedule your workout for the early morning or evening hours to avoid the midday sun. Wear appropriate clothes for the weather and remember to apply sunscreen to all exposed areas of skin. Carry enough water; serious athletes may wish to invest in a hydration backpack, which features a tube for drinking water on the go.
  • Schedule rest days. Overtraining is a common cause of injury among athletes. You can reduce your risk of injury by scheduling rest days between challenging workouts. Additionally, it’s best to increase the intensity and duration of your training sessions gradually.
  • Use proper form. Whether you’re in the gym working on the weight machines or out on a field playing soccer, it’s critical to use the proper form for a particular activity. You’ll achieve better results and reduce your risk of injury by concentrating on how an activity is performed, rather than on how quickly you can complete it.
  • Vary your fitness routine. Even the most dedicated of athletes can sometimes experience boredom when performing the same workout over and over again. Maintain a positive attitude toward physical fitness by enjoying a wide variety of activities. If your favorite activity is running, for example, go for a swim now and then to reduce stress on your joints.
There are a number of simple steps you can take to help minimize the risk of injury while exercising. The first is to make sure you perform a thorough warm up, which may involve light activity, stretching and foam rolling of tight areas and moving all the major body parts through their range of motion to prepare them for further activity.  The second tip is to never use more weight or go faster than you can maintain proper form for, do not sacrifice technique and form for performance, lighten the load or slow down the speed until the form is good again. Finally make sure you progress slowly and give your body plenty of time to adapt to increased weight or workloads. If you follow these tips you will decrease the likelihood of developing an injury.
Mr. Donovan Green
Athletic Training
Keep your existing injuries in mind before starting an exercise program. In this video, I will explain how it's important to keep your needs in mind when working out.

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Why Fitness Newbies Should Avoid Intense Workouts
Insanity! Burnout! Super revved-up workouts are all the rage at gyms and online. One big trend: high-intensity sprint training. Long-favored by Specia...
Why does my shoulder hurt after I do pull ups?
There may be several causes as to why your shoulder hurts during a chest exercise including dysfunct...
What should I do if I feel weakness while doing shoulder exercises?
If an exercise is too difficult or uncomfortable, try modifying the exercise by decreasing the weigh...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?