What should I avoid when doing the single-leg standing exercise?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy

The single-leg standing exercise strengthens core muscles and prevents poor habits associated with pelvic and leg movements during walking.

Here are some things to avoid when doing the single-leg standing exercise:

• Try to not allow the pelvis or stance leg to rotate while lifting the leg as this reinforces excessive pelvic or spine rotation when walking. Be precise and take it very slow to analyze yourself.
  • Be sure to engage the gluteals on the stance leg to help stabilize the hip.

Fixing You: Hip & Knee Pain: Self-treatment for IT band friction, arthritis, groin pain, bursitis, knee pain, PFS, AKPS, and other diagnoses

Hip and knee pain are often a result of poor pelvic muscle performance in combination with poor walking habits. This combination creates tracking problems in the hip socket or excessive rotation at...

Like all exercises be sure to perform the exercise with proper form and perform in a safe environment. When performing the single-leg standing exercise be sure ensure you have neutral alignment from the foot and spine. These joints should be stable and free of excessive movements. If you are a beginner, be sure to have balance assistance nearby such as a chair or wall to prevent you from falling.

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Why Fitness Newbies Should Avoid Intense Workouts
Insanity! Burnout! Super revved-up workouts are all the rage at gyms and online. One big trend: high-intensity sprint training. Long-favored by Specia...
I have always gotten hurt when I start an exercise program, why is this?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
Many of us fall prey to injuries or aches and pains when we begin a new program or start back up aga...
How can I keep my knees healthy as I exercise?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Hip, ankle, leg, and butt weakness can all manifest as knee pain. To protect these innocent bystande...
How Can I Prevent Injuries While Exercising