What do I avoid during the shoulder-internal rotator stretch?

Shoulder internal rotation is commonly addressed during shoulder rehabilitation. Glenohumeral internal rotation deficit is common postural distortion that affects many individuals with that maintain a static posture or have pattern overload. Glenohumeral internal rotation is often the primary cause of many upper extremity injuries.  Thus, stretching to improve internal rotator flexibility is important.
The biggest mistake is see when individuals perform the internal rotation stretch is stabilizing the scapula. The rotator cuff muscles and shoulder capsule which is being stretched are attached to the scapula. Because of this the scapula will tend to move as you stretch yielding no results. To prevent this perform the stretch while side-lying on a table or leaning against a wall. The table / wall will act as a stabilizer holding the scapula in place and allowing for a proper stretch.
Another common error when performing this stretch is overstretching. The shoulder joint is a highly moveable, yet highly unstable joint. Stretching beyond the limitations of joint can lead to significant shoulder injuries. Always stretch until you feel slight tugging, hold the position and repeat. Overstretching does not produce better flexibility.

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

How can I reduce knee pain when I am mountain biking?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Sometimes the simple solution is adjusting your bike to your comfort level. You should first check y...
Under what circumstances should I call my doctor while exercising?
If you notice any of the following symptoms stop exercising and rest. If these symptoms persist, cal...
What do I do if my shoulder-strengthening exercise causes pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Strengthening exercises are meant to strengthen specific muscles and, of course, be pain free. For e...
What should I avoid when doing the single-leg standing exercise?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The single-leg standing exercise strengthens core muscles and prevents poor habits associated with p...