What should I avoid when doing the iliotibial-band stretch exercise?

With an exercise the most important thing to do is always ensure the exercise is being done with proper form and technique. When performing the iliotibial- band stretch, be sure that the pelvis is not anteriorly rotated.

Muscles should always be stretched for at least 20-30 seconds to elicit full lengthening effect. Do not over-stretch the muscle as this may cause stimulation of sensory receptors and actually cause the muscle to contract to protect. It is also not advised to bounce the stretch as this can cause underlying tissue damage.

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy

A common error in performing an iliotibial band (ITB) exercise, which helps stretch the ITB and possibly the tensor fascia lata (TFL) and rectus femoris muscles if they're tight too, is that both legs may veer to the right or left when performing this exercise. Have a friend critique your form to be sure you are symmetrically bending your knees, heels, and toes together.

Fixing You: Hip & Knee Pain: Self-treatment for IT band friction, arthritis, groin pain, bursitis, knee pain, PFS, AKPS, and other diagnoses

Hip and knee pain are often a result of poor pelvic muscle performance in combination with poor walking habits. This combination creates tracking problems in the hip socket or excessive rotation at...

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Preventing Injuries in Your Spring Training
In 2014, Major League Baseball revised its rules to prevent bone-jarring collisions at home plate between a base runner and the catcher. That should m...
How can I manage exercise-related rashes on my body?
Exercise-related rashes are usually caused when certain areas of the skin rub against each other or ...
How can I protect my cartilage as I exercise?
Performing regular physical activity helps your body maintain the health and integrity of your carti...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?