What do I avoid when doing arm-waves external rotation exercise?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Common errors when doing the arm-waves exercise for external rotation (an exercise that helps restore normal range of motion to the shoulder joint) include:

• If you experience pain in your shoulder, place thicker pads under your arm until you can feel a stretch with no shoulder pain. Support your wrist and hand with pillows to allow the muscles to relax into the stretch. Otherwise, your shoulder muscles will continue to hold on while trying to stretch and add to joint compression. Slide your elbow down from the 90-degrees abduction position to your side and try again. After the shoulder loosens up, gradually move back into 90 degrees of abduction.
Fixing You: Shoulder & Elbow Pain: Self-treatment for rotator cuff strain, shoulder impingement, tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, and other diagnoses.

The shoulders are a floating system on the trunk, held in place and moved by muscular control. The foundation of shoulder movement is the shoulder blade which has precise resting and moving...

When performing the arm waves exercise for external rotation it is common for the low back to arch or the cervical spine to have increased lordosis. This is a common compensatory pattern, indicating over activity of the pectoralis major, pectoralis minor or the latissimus dorsi. If you observe this motion you have gone too far in to external rotation. When you begin to experience these compensatory motions be sure to contract the abdominals to maintain neutral spine alignment. Keep the shoulder depressed against the floor or table.

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

A 20-Minute Warm Up Could Be the Difference Between Injury and Performance
A good warm up pre-workout is something most people skip, but science says you should make time for it. If rolling your ankle or tweaking your shoulde...
What should I look out for if I train in the mountains?
Training in the mountains presents some unique challenges. For one, you are usually training at high...
Why does my neck hurt when I do push-ups?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
Push-ups require a lot of coordination of core and upper body strength. I often see people tryin...
To Prevent Running Injuries, Start With Your Big Toe