Should I stretch before a run?

There are various thoughts behind whether one needs to stretch before a run. Most recent research has shown no true benefit to static stretching prior to a run.  Individuals may actually cause more injury from static stretching if they over stretch without warming up. Dynamic stretching, such as skipping or hopping, may provide more benefit as it helps increase blood flow to the muscles and allows you to work through your range of motion prior to your run. 
It seems that stretching before a run may depend on your established habits. Simply put, researchers say that if you regularly stretch before you run, continue doing so, but if you don't regularly stretch, you may be better off not starting. The study, performed by Daniel Pereles, MD, an orthopedic surgeon in Potomac, Maryland, found that runners who stretched but who switched to a nonstretching group had a 23% increase in injuries. The nonstretchers who began stretching had a 22% increase in injuries.

This research is preliminary, and more study needs to be done on stretching, but these results may support what you already do.

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Why Fitness Newbies Should Avoid Intense Workouts
Insanity! Burnout! Super revved-up workouts are all the rage at gyms and online. One big trend: high-intensity sprint training. Long-favored by Specia...
How can I prevent pain in my legs when I walk?
Benjamin Eseroma Benjamin Eseroma
If you are having pain while you walk it is probably due to muscle imbalances. You need to stretch r...
What kind of exercise is the least stressful on joints?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
If you want to increase your aerobic fitness, try swimming or water aerobics. They put the least amo...
What Are the Most Common Mistakes People Make When They Work Out?