How can I prevent injuries when I work out?

There are a number of simple steps you can take to help minimize the risk of injury while exercising. The first is to make sure you perform a thorough warm up, which may involve light activity, stretching and foam rolling of tight areas and moving all the major body parts through their range of motion to prepare them for further activity.  The second tip is to never use more weight or go faster than you can maintain proper form for, do not sacrifice technique and form for performance, lighten the load or slow down the speed until the form is good again. Finally make sure you progress slowly and give your body plenty of time to adapt to increased weight or workloads. If you follow these tips you will decrease the likelihood of developing an injury.

Being physically active is safe if you are careful. Take these steps to prevent injury:

If you're not active at all or have a health problem, start your program with short sessions (5 to 10 minutes) of physical activity and build up to your goal. (Be sure to ask a doctor before you start if you have a health problem)Use safety equipment such as a helmet for bike riding or supportive shoes for walking or jogging.Start every workout with a warm-up. If you plan to walk at a brisk pace, start by walking at an easy pace for 5 to 10 minutes. When you're done working out, do the same thing until your heart rate returns to normal.Drink plenty of fluids when you are physically active, even if you are not thirsty.Use sunscreen when you are outside.Always bend forward from the hips, not the waist. If you keep your back straight, you're probably bending the right way. If your back "humps," that's probably wrong.Stop your activity if you feel very out of breath, dizzy, nauseous, or have pain. If you feel tightness or pain in your chest or you feel faint or have trouble breathing, stop the activity right away and talk to your doctor.Exercise should not hurt or make you feel really tired. You might feel some soreness, a little discomfort, or a bit weary. But you should not feel pain. In fact, in many ways, being active will probably make you feel better.

The answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

To Prevent Running Injuries, Start With Your Big Toe
What Are the Most Common Mistakes People Make When They Work Out?
How Can I Prevent Injuries While Exercising?
Why Do My Feet Go Numb When I Exercise?
Why Do My Feet Go Numb When I Exercise?