How can I do push-ups if my wrists hurt?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
At our studios we do push-ups at a ballet barre to relieve pressure on wrists and shoulders. At home you can use a sturdy waist-high piece of furniture such as a kitchen counter or heavy couch.
If it hurts to bend your wrists you can perform neutral pushups on your knuckles this will allow you to do pushups in a neutral position where you do not have to bend your wrists.  If this position is uncomfortable on the knuckles, perform push-ups on padded surface like a workout mat.

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Ask the Expert: Exercise Injuries
Ask the Expert: Exercise Injuries
Your morning gym sessions will help you look and feel good, but it’s important to practice safe workout habits to avoid getting injured. If you’re on ...
Can I continue exercising if I'm injured?
It's important to learn how to avoid exercise-related injuries, and what to do if you get one. For e...
Should I stretch before a run?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
There are various thoughts behind whether one needs to stretch before a run. Most recent research ha...
To Prevent Running Injuries, Start With Your Big Toe