How can I prevent injury in my exercise class?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
Great question. Preventing injury starts with listening to your body. Knowing the difference between challenging yourself and working through pain is very important. Just because the class is going in one direction does not mean that direction is right for you. Listening to the cues from your instructor is also important in ensuring you are setting yourself up correctly to avoid injury.
The best way to prevent injuries is to eliminate any muscular imbalances you may have collected in your daily activities. A movement assessment like an overhead squat assessment will show if you have any muscular imbalances. If any muscular imbalances appear use corrective flexibility training to loosen tightened muscles and active isolated strengthening to improve the strength of weakened muscles. This will bring your bodies joints back into optimal alignment and dramatically decrease your risk of injury.

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Why Fitness Newbies Should Avoid Intense Workouts
Insanity! Burnout! Super revved-up workouts are all the rage at gyms and online. One big trend: high-intensity sprint training. Long-favored by Specia...
How can I exercise safely?
Penny Ragusano, NASM Elite TrainerPenny Ragusano, NASM Elite Trainer
To exercise safely, be clear on your current fitness level and use progression to reach new levels o...
What should I keep in mind when exercising after heart surgery?
Ellen CharnleyEllen Charnley
When exercising after heart surgery, you need to be mindful of some conditions: Your training a...
How Can I Prevent Injuries While Exercising