How can I prevent a back injury while lifting weights?

To prevent a back injury while weight lifting, you should always keep your back straight and your chest up. It is important to keep your stomach muscles tight throughout the whole lift. You should also lift from your knees and not from your hips.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

A 20-Minute Warm Up Could Be the Difference Between Injury and Performance
A good warm up pre-workout is something most people skip, but science says you should make time for it. If rolling your ankle or tweaking your shoulde...
What effects does exposure to sun have on the body?
Sun exposure has many short-term and long-term effects on the body. Short-term effects include a flu...
How can I avoid injury if my competitive personality pushes me too far?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
Yes, this is very common! I think one of the most challenging parts of working out in a group is...
What Are the Most Common Mistakes People Make When They Work Out?