How should I position my shoulders during exercise?

Your shoulders should be pulled down and back so that your shoulders are not rounded forward in any way. Rounded shoulders ad movements with the shoulders forward dramatically increase your risk on having a shoulder injury due to altered mechanics. The ideal position is for your shoulders to be back so your shoulders are behind the ears and shoulder blades down towards the spine.
Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
By design, our shoulders were made to allow extreme motion in multiple directions. They were not designed for bearing weight. Many of our exercises, however, from the simple push-up to the plank, require we hold up our weight with our shoulders and upper bodies. To prevent shoulder injury and to get the most out of your exercise, always make sure your shoulders are lined up directly over your elbows and hands.
Dr. Vonda Wright's Guide to Thrive: 4 Steps to Body, Brains, and Bliss

Dr. Wright unfolds her Guide to Thrive by preparing readers for six remarkable months of body, brains, and bliss transformation, using her framework of the four practical steps. As a scientist and...

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Ask the Expert: Exercise Injuries
Ask the Expert: Exercise Injuries
Your morning gym sessions will help you look and feel good, but it’s important to practice safe workout habits to avoid getting injured. If you’re on ...
How can older adults avoid falling during exercise?
Rozan Razzouk, MDRozan Razzouk, MD
Some older adults are afraid to exercise because they think that exercise isn’t safe for them. They ...
How can I protect my cartilage as I exercise?
Performing regular physical activity helps your body maintain the health and integrity of your carti...
What Are the Most Common Mistakes People Make When They Work Out?