How do I make sure I have good form so I don’t get injured when exercising?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
There are many detailed answers to this depending on what kind of exercise you are engaged in. But, as a rule of thumb you can focus on these three platforms in the body to prevent injury in the high-risk areas of the body.
  • Feet – How you weight your feet can directly impact your knees. In general make sure you are rooted evenly on your feet and your knees track towards your toes.
  • Pelvis (hips) – Alignment of your hips impacts your low back. Keep your hips level from left to right and avoid tucking or sticking out. This will help keep a neutral spine for optimal movement.
  • Shoulders – Keep your shoulders wide and down your back away from your ears. These actions will help keep your cervical spine (upper back and neck) safe.

The best to ensure good form is to eliminate any muscle imbalances by identifying them and getting rid of them. Muscular imbalances can be identified using movement assessments like the overhead squat. During movement the bodies joints will move based on what muscles are tight, weak, or not working optimally. Once you identify muscle imbalances, strengthen weakened muscles, lengthen tight ones and this will improve posture and help train good form. If you want to learn how to identify muscle imbalances consult a personal trainer experienced in performing muscle imbalance tests.

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Whether you are involved in aerobics, jogging, cycling or team sports, there are many things you can do to prevent injuries during exercise. Avoid sore arms, leg cramps, muscle spasms and pains by performing warm up exercises. Thi...

s is a must so you don’t have tight stiff muscles, increasing your chance of muscle injury. Avoid overexertion; exercise at a pace that is comfortable for you. Learning correct posture and form can also prevent your muscles being used in an awkward way.