What causes avian flu?

Avian flu, or bird flu, occurs when a person is infected by a strain of influenza virus that normally infects birds. It is not very contagious from one to person to another. Unlike seasonal flu, it is usually spread by contact with infected birds. Infected birds may be wild or domesticated.

Continue Learning about Avian Flu

Do antibiotics help to treat avian flu?
Antibiotics can only be used to treat bacterial infections that may be complications of the avian fl...
Can I get avian flu even if I had a flu shot?
You can get the avian flu if you get a flu shot, because the flu shot only works to protect you agai...
What concerns scientists about bird flu?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Despite the difficulty of bird flu's transmission to people from birds and from person to person, pu...
What are the symptoms of avian flu?
The symptoms of avian flu, or bird flu, include a high temperature, cough, throat soreness, and sore...