How do medications treat avian flu?

Some medications treat the symptoms of avian flu (bird flu). For example, decongestants can be used to reduce nasal congestion, while acetaminophen and ibuprofen may be used to soothe the fever and body aches common to avian flu. Antiviral medications actually attack the virus itself, stopping it from growing.

Continue Learning about Avian Flu

What's being done to avoid a bird flu pandemic?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Health officials in the United States and other Western countries are helping Asian nations manage a...
How can I protect my children from avian flu?
Protecting your children is very important. You may want to avoid traveling to an area where there i...
Do antibiotics help to treat avian flu?
Antibiotics can be used to treat infections that may be complications of the avian flu like pneumoni...
What are the symptoms of avian flu?
The symptoms of avian flu, or bird flu, include a high temperature, cough, throat soreness, and sore...