How contagious is avian flu?

Right now, avian flu (bird flu) is not very contagious among humans. It is mostly spread among infected birds and occasionally to the people who work with infected birds or bird products. It is very rarely transmitted from one person to another. Yet, because influenza viruses often mutate, producing new strains of influenza, it is possible that avian flu could become more contagious.

Continue Learning about Avian Flu

What areas of the world are most affected by avian flu?
So far, the areas of the world that have been most affected by avian flu (bird flu) are Asia and cou...
Can avian flu be prevented?
The best way to prevent avian flu is to avoid coming into contact with the avian influenza virus. If...
What causes avian flu?
Avian flu, or bird flu, occurs when a person is infected by a strain of influenza virus that normall...
Should I talk to my doctor about my avian flu symptoms?
If you have been in contact with poultry, wild birds, or an infected person, and you have flu sy...