Can I get avian flu even if I had a flu shot?

You can get the avian flu if you get a flu shot, because the flu shot only works to protect you against seasonal influenza strains and not avian influenza strains. Most avian flu viruses do not infect humans. If a strain of avian flu that does infect humans is involved in an outbreak, there will generally be a vaccine that can be made available. It is not possible to make a vaccine against all versions of avian flu, however, just as there is no vaccine for all seasonal influenza viruses; they must be created to fight the viruses circulating or expected to circulate.

Continue Learning about Avian Flu

How long does it take to develop symptoms of avian flu?
The symptoms of avian flu (bird flu) include fever, cough, sore throat, and body aches. These sympto...
Are there alternative treatments for avian flu?
There are no alternative treatment options that have been proven to prevent or limit the duration of...
How does avian flu affect the body?
Avian flu, like other types of influenza, is caused by a virus that infects the respiratory system. ...
Can I get avian flu from eating poultry?
As long as the poultry is prepared and cooked properly, it does not pose a risk. Handle raw poultry ...