Who is most at risk of autosomal recessive genetic disorders?

Children who are born to parents who are both carriers of the same mutated autosomal recessive gene are most at risk of having an autosomal recessive genetic disorder. In order to have an autosomal recessive genetic disorder, a person must have a mutation in both copies of the same autosomal recessive gene. If a child is born to two people who each carry one mutated copy of the same autosomal recessive gene, there is a 25% chance, or 1 in 4, that the child will have this autosomal recessive genetic disorder. 

Continue Learning about Autosomal Recessive Genetic Disorders

Can autosomal recessive genetic disorders be prevented?
The only way to prevent autosomal recessive genetic disorders is to not have a child affected with t...
Should I be worried about autosomal recessive genetic disorders?
You are at a higher risk of having an autosomal recessive disorder or having an affected child with ...
How is type 1 Gaucher disease diagnosed?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
To diagnose all three types of Gaucher disease, a doctor who is a specialist will run some tests at ...
How do autosomal recessive genetic disorders affect my quality of life?
Because there are a wide variety of autosomal recessive genetic disorders, there are also many diffe...