How is Pompe disease diagnosed?

The diagnosis of Pompe disease can be made through several testing methods. Blood tests can look at how well the GAA enzymes are working, as well as checking for variants in the GAA gene. Other tests, such as an ultrasound of a child's heart (echocardiogram) may be done. This is a painless procedure that looks at how well the child's heart is working.

Diagnosing Pompe disease can be hard, especially when there is no family history of the disease. Pompe disease is rare and has symptoms similar to other conditions. But once the doctors suspect that it might be Pompe disease, the diagnosis can be made.

Continue Learning about Autosomal Recessive Genetic Disorders

What are the symptoms of autosomal recessive genetic disorders?
Because there are so many different autosomal recessive genetic disorders, they can have a variety o...
How do I manage my autosomal recessive genetic disorders on a daily basis?
Managing your autosomal recessive genetic disorders on a daily basis depends on the kind of disorder...
What causes congenital lactose intolerance?
Congenital lactose intolerance is a rare disorder in which infants are unable to break down lactose,...
What are the treatment options for autosomal recessive genetic disorders?
Because there are many different kinds of autosomal recessive genetic disorders, there are also many...