How does enzyme replacement therapy (ERT) work to treat Gaucher disease?

In treating Gaucher disease, enzyme replacement therapy (ERT) provides the enzyme that the body is missing. ERT helps the lysosomes chop up the waste material that has built up in the body's cells. ERT can help people begin to experience some relief of their symptoms. Some people get their ERT at the hospital and others can have it at home. It’s given through an intravenous drip or IV. The drugs are given through a peripheral line or a central access device such as a port-a-cath.

Continue Learning about Autosomal Recessive Genetic Disorders

How do I manage my Gaucher disease on a daily basis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
To help manage your Gaucher disease on a daily basis, keeping fit and eating lots of healthy food ar...
Is there a cure for autosomal recessive genetic disorders?
Most autosomal recessive genetic disorders do not have a cure. However, some autosomal recessive gen...
How can genetic counseling help with autosomal recessive genetic disorders?
Genetic counseling can help people determine the chances their future children will have of being bo...
What is lipoid proteinosis (LP)?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Lipoid proteinosis (LP) is a rare disease that affects the skin and the brain. Three distinctive...