What should I ask my doctor about autopsies?

If you are living with serious illness or are simply planning ahead for your own or a loved one's future, having a frank discussion with your doctor is a good idea. Putting things into words, getting more information, and asking questions can help you get the kind of medical treatments you want.

Here are some questions to ask your doctor about autopsies:
  • What is an autopsy?
  • Why should an autopsy be done? Why is it important to families? To society?
  • Will the autopsy affect funeral plans?
  • How do I get an autopsy done?
  • Is there a charge for the autopsy?
  • How do I find out the results of the autopsy?

Continue Learning about Autopsy

How does an autopsy affect organ donation?
MyDirectivesMyDirectives
Having an autopsy doesn't always prevent organ donation. Although laws differ in each jurisdiction, ...
Why should I ask for an autopsy when a parent dies?
If your parents will consent to it, having autopsies performed on them when they pass away can yield...
What are the benefits of an autopsy?
MyDirectivesMyDirectives
There are lots of benefits to having an autopsy. For families, it can help assure them that their lo...
Should I request that an autopsy be performed on my body?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
An autopsy is a medical procedure that consists of a thorough examination performed on a body after ...