How much does an autopsy cost?

The cost of an autopsy varies depending on the town, city, state, or country where you live. It also depends on whether it is a legally required autopsy or one for purely medical purposes. Typically, an in-hospital autopsy is a free service, although some hospitals try to discourage you by telling you there are fees of $2,000 to $3,000.

In the United States, you may be able to hire a private pathologist to perform an autopsy in the funeral home or other location; costs range from about $500 to $4,000, depending on how thorough an examination is done. Your funeral director can help you find a pathologist, or go online and Google "autopsy services."

Continue Learning about Autopsy

What are the benefits of an autopsy?
MyDirectivesMyDirectives
There are lots of benefits to having an autopsy. For families, it can help assure them that their lo...
What is a forensic autopsy?
MyDirectivesMyDirectives
A forensic autopsy is performed if the death seems suspicious or the cause of death is believed to b...
How do legal autopsies differ from medical autopsies?
MyDirectivesMyDirectives
Autopsies are performed for legal or medical purposes. A legal, or forensic, autopsy is performed wh...
Should I request that an autopsy be performed on my body?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
An autopsy is a medical procedure that consists of a thorough examination performed on a body after ...