How does an autopsy affect organ donation?

Having an autopsy doesn't always prevent organ donation. Although laws differ in each jurisdiction, if the coroner or medical examiner is aware that the deceased wanted to be an organ donor, he or she usually will try to perform an autopsy or an analysis of tissues and organs in a manner and within a time period that allows for organ donation.

Continue Learning about Autopsy

How much does an autopsy cost?
MyDirectivesMyDirectives
The cost of an autopsy varies depending on the town, city, state, or country where you live. It also...
What is an autopsy?
MyDirectivesMyDirectives
An autopsy is a medical examination of a dead body to find out how and why the person died, what dis...
How do legal autopsies differ from medical autopsies?
MyDirectivesMyDirectives
Autopsies are performed for legal or medical purposes. A legal, or forensic, autopsy is performed wh...
Should I request that an autopsy be performed on my body?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
An autopsy is a medical procedure that consists of a thorough examination performed on a body after ...